Principle Purpose of Position:
The Technical Manager is a versatile, technically biased, position that will sit at the hub of our business. The Technical Manager is seen as the central authority in addressing all technically orientated or compliance issues. The position supports differing areas of the business in ensuring that the Technical Delivery of all products and services is aligned appropriately with the needs of the business, and is done so in a manner that satisfies all regulatory standards of compliance. The position has a clear route for career progression dependent upon individual performance within the role, and subject to the business meeting defined aspirations for growth.
The Technical Manager will hold the critical accountability (working in conjunction with our Innovation team and other key business functions as appropriate) to support the smooth transition of new products, services and technologies into the mainstream business with all pre-agreed criteria/detail (e.g. marketing assets, USPs, CAD deliverables, part numbering structure, specifications, quality requirements, pricing structure, all operational and after-sales requirements) delivered in full to agreed timescales.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- To be responsible for ensuring that all product applications are appropriately standardised, validated, supported and communicated
- To be the central authority to address technical queries raised across all areas of the business
- Responsible for the continuous improvement of existing products and services, whilst holding a genuine aspiration to constantly raise the standard and to ensure that the value of our products and services within the Marketplace is preserved.
- Coordinate the safety implications of all products, drawing on the structural engineer, as needed, to ensure all products are delivered to the required safety standard
- Negotiate contract terms and/or commercial agreements
- Manage key supplier/stakeholder relationships (internal & external)
- Review existing products to ensure all relevant documentation exists, is clear, up to date and continually reviewed and updated
- To champion both product standardisation and their onward, continuous development
- To understand the application of each product, to each industry sector and their part in the product mix
- Influence the appropriate specification of products, and assist in providing appropriate wording for quotations, method statements, risk assessments, operational manuals and other product documentation
- Identify key people in the business to support with each project, and chair meetings as required to ensure projects continue to progress effectively
- Ensure that all teams receive updates of key changes within the product range
- Support with the creation of training material and carry out all training on our product range to the rest of the company
- Technically minded to appreciate, challenge and influence the correct technical solution for any scenario
- Commercially aware and efficient; the mind-set to think creatively to maximise business profitability in any opportunity
- Methodical in approach, and an advocate of process.
- Strong attention to detail in project coordination, product performance and compliance
- Good team worker but able to exercise own judgement and work independently to make decisions
- Effective communicator with the ability to collaborate and integrate into a wide team
- Experience in managing stakeholders
- Dynamism to work collaboratively with, and positively influence, all departments throughout the business as needed, ensuring that all product/ service initiatives are adequately communicated, costed, understood and adopted
- Ability to manage, motivate and inspire a team, and experience of mentoring and developing staff
- Strength in project management, communication and coordination
- Proactive, creative and self-driven to identify and overcome challenges – a problem solving, can-do attitude
- Able to work autonomously to deliver the required outcome against a clear brief from the business management
- Ability to take responsibility and ownership
- Excellent prioritisation and planning skills
- Ability to challenge
- Desire to strive for personal development
- Higher level qualification (NVQ 4/5 or equivalent) in a Technical discipline
- BEng/MEng, or equivalent, working towards professional status desirable but not essential
- Demonstrable success and experience in a similar role
- Experience in managing relationships with key members of the supply chain – negotiation of contract terms and/or commercial agreements would be considered ideal.
- An appreciation of CAD design for manufacture (core principles, and reader of drawings, if not a direct user)
- A working knowledge of industry appropriate standards that support structural and fire compliance.
- Proven experience in delivering completed, technically orientated, projects on time, to budget, inclusive of the appropriate compliance and commercial aspects.